Today is a sad day. We've just received news that Ryan Allen has passed away. John and I had the opportunity to meet Ryan through our friend, Justin. Justin and Ryan are the best of friends-our prayers are with Justin, the Allen family, Ryan's wife, Summer, who we hadn't had the chance to meet yet, and of course, all the extended family. Ryan, who was only 29, lost his fight to cancer early this morning.
I've met Ryan only twice, both times in a social setting. The last time we had the opportunity to hang out, was about 7 weeks ago. We had the most perfect day, in the sun, on the IU campus, at the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds show. Barack gave away free tickets and we scored 4 of them. This day could not have been more beautiful--the sun was so bright, not a cloud in the sky, and here we were at IU--enjoying the music in the parking lot. We had a case of wine from Oliver Winery, because no one had thought to buy any beers, since we are so old!, (And, it was a Sunday, so all liquor stores were closed). We tailgated with all the college kids, snooty style. Who drinks red wine before a concert? Apparently, anyone over 30.
I didn't know at the time Ryan was as sick as he was. I knew he had cancer at one point, but didn't realize the extent of it. He was so gracious, so fun-loving. When we pulled up, he had a towel over his arm, and a bottle of wine laying over it, and said, "Mr. & Mrs. Albrecht, may I offer you a fine plastic glass of Merlot?" in his best snooty voice. And, that's how we spent our afternoon. Tailgating with plastic glasses of wine, jammin out to Dave. It was just so much fun..Free, real, funny. I loved every single minute of it. Those days are rare and treasured when they happen.
Justin approached me before the show and was like, do you know Ryan's story? And, he proceeded to tell me that Ryan had cancer, and it was terminal--he had maybe two to three months. Justin then told me how Ryan and Summer were his best friends on this earth. My heart broke for all 3 of them. The wind was practically knocked out of me. I just wanted to cry. I spent the entire length of the show just wondering --Why? Why would God do this? Why would he take such a free-spirited, young, vibrant man, who was just married in October--and allow him to be so ill? I never did get an answer, nor did I expect to right away.
The thing about Ryan, Justin informed me, is that he just had an unbelievable zest, and love for life. That he and Summer were fighters, who never gave up hope. Their story has allowed me to learn to pray on a much deeper level, for people who are really hit hard in life. Hanging out with Ryan that day taught me so many things. You would've never known that this young man knew his days were numbered. I think he is so very strong, and I commend him for living with so much vigor. We don't always know why things happen, nor do we have any control over God's plan for our lives. I hope he knows, that during his short time here, he touched people he barely even knew-on a deep, deep level.
I raise my plastic glass of Merlot to you, Ryan. I hope you will forever enjoy perfect, everlasting, days in the sun. Thank you for making a difference in so many lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment