Friday, June 20, 2008

Stripped

John & I recently begun hosting a House Church (or small bible study/community group) for Common Ground Christian Church. Collectively, we decided before we actually started doing the bible study portion, we'd spend time each week with an individual in the group sharing their background. It's an open forum. Our goal was to get to know each other on a deeper level.

We've had about 26 people come in the past several weeks. (And about 6 children) Most people don't know one another. There are no preconceived notions. There are a few groups of friends spread throughout, but as we are forming from "scratch", most of the faces are new to each of us. We've grown both through the church and internally, and all share a common goal: We are actively seeking God.

Have you ever placed a group of people in a room, who barely knew each other, and asked who would like to speak about themselves next week? Their story can be anything it needs to be. It can be about their childhood, or their upbringing in church, or their lack of, or where they are today. It can be the relationship with their parents, or an opportunity to divulge their weaknesses, or their dreams. It's a tough assignment.

Basically, I look around a room full of people, at some who are confident, and at others who avoid my eyes, and I say to them "strip". Of course, I don't say that verbatim. But, it is indeed what we're asking. We're asking them to let down their guard, make themselves vulnerable, and open their lives to strangers. I'm asking them to shed any insecurities they may have, and step out in Faith, that those here won't cast stones.

I've been AMAZED at what I've heard. Some people have had a fairly "easy" life. They haven't had too many letdowns, or had a boat load of disappointments. They appear fairly intact. Others have cracks. It's an eye opener, even in a community this small, how people have been touched by life's different seasons. The issues run the gamut. I've sat here, with mouth open, literally gasping at some of the things I've heard. Some of our discussions are heavy. They are far from light & are a far cry from a fairytale.

Yet, here they sit. Week after week, stripping away the things that tie them down. It's not easy. Trusting others, and building solid relationships, is often hard to achieve. I can't help but think, however, that God is bringing each of us back for a reason. It's our trust in Him that is allowing everyone to open themselves up. He's pulling, slowly, at each of us to share at the right time. Whether their stories reflect a bright and shiny past, or one that was dull or broken, they all are equally beautiful in His eyes. As Christians we should be able to recognize that beauty as well, and accept all that we hear with open ears.

No comments: