Oh what a difference a year makes. I can't believe we made it! Wow. It flew by. Lake turned one on Sunday, December 21st. We rang in his birthday with family and friends and it was perfect. Thank you everyone!
Some highlights from our first year...
- When he was about a week old, I realized he had a small rash covering his chest...I was rather concerned. I really couldn't figure out what the two larger red circles were. They were right in the middle of the sandpaper fine red rash that encompassed his chest cavity. Lo and behold, the two bigger ones (yep, this is true) were his nipples. At least I didn't call Dr. Carrie in a panic over that.
- I did call Amber and Barb in a panic when he was about 12 weeks..wondering if his urine had crystalized. I could not for the life of me, figure out what the jelly-like crystals were in his diaper. Apparently, Pampers leave little jelly crystals if the diaper gets too wet. I'd had him in his diaper a bit too long. No, urine does not crystalize into jelly.
- It is possible to leave your infant and take a vacation! In fact, we took two. Much needed ones. Once to Miami, and once to Jamaica. It does get easier. However, we do have a $250 plus some change, cell phone bill from the frequent calls home while in Jamaica! Was it worth it? Yes, it was.
- Lake makes all kinds of sounds. Go figure. He has a ridiculous range. In fact, I took him to the doctor around 7 months of age, because he was making this odd strangling sound. I thought he was continually choking. A $20 copay later left me shaking my held as the Doctor told me he is experimenting with his vocal cords and learning to make noises. He will be like his mother, after all.
- Lake has been published already in his first year..He made the Kokomo Tribune on a visit to see Santa. Next, it'll be the Wall Street Journal.
- Infants can climb stairs. It doesn't happen after they are toddlers. No, it happens when you aren't looking. They are QUICK!
- If you let babies sleep in your bed (which I swore I'd never do), they get accustomed to it. Go figure. Now we are back at square one. Smart one, he is.
- The best thing in the world is having Lake crawl up to your legs, pull himself up on you, and lift up his arms for you to pick him up. Nothing beats that. Nothing.
- His favorite word, and favorite person I might add, is Da Da. And Jackson.
- Lake loves Maryn, and Maryn's dog Duke. He loves Dukie so much that he likes to grab his tail. In fact, while Lake was holding his tail, Duke took off and drug Lake across the floor. He's already prepping for his future stunt man job. He will be a star one way or another.
Yes, our year has been full of life, love, tears and unexpected gifts. We are wishing each of you a very Merry Christmas and a glorious 2009. We plan on bundling in and nesting for the winter.
Maybe catch up on some laundry. Until then..Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment